Log Books and 1 ton Utes

There is a common belief that if you own a 1 ton Ute you are exempt from keeping a log book and can claim 100% tax deduction for the Ute if used for work, with no adjustment for personal use.

The ATO still expects to see a reduction of claim if you are using the Ute for personal use, A log book will need to be kept to show substantiation off claim.

Below it part of a transcript issued by the ATO on Work Related Expense.

We are also finding that many taxpayers are claiming 100% of the expenses for a 1 tonne vehicle without regard to private use. These expenses must be apportioned if the vehicle is used for private purposes. So the taxpayer still really does need to keep a logbook in this instance.